The Wonderful World of Cancer!
Before I start two things need to be noted. First, let it be said CANCER SUCKS! Most everything about it is overwhelming and NO ONE should have to deal with it. Second, I am sure that I will fail to mention something or someone here, so apologies in advance.
I can list all of the up and downs, the technical things, the crazy lectures Anne delivered coming out of anesthesia, so many things that happened over the past couple of weeks while in Dayton “helping Anne”. Anne did such a great job with most of that I thought I’d share a different point of view.
I headed to Dayton filled with worry and wonder as to what things would be like when I got there. No surprise, things were great. From the get go all was pretty normal. I put on my PA (personal assistant) hat and ran some errands. Anne was working as usual. Before we could get even Sarah from the airport the outpouring of support started! As we were getting ready for a snack, the doorbell rang and there is a delicious fresh fruit arrangement, soon after friends from work stopped by to wish Anne well and to deliver a delicious dinner along with the message that everyone was pitching in and Anne would have yummy home cooked meals provided for an entire month! More doorbells with more yummy treats, flowers, plants, prayer blankets, care packages filled with treats and games, giftcards for Jimmy Johns, for Starbucks, so many cards, notes and prayers, offers to shovel the driveway! Again, I’m sure that I am not remembering everything, but you get the point. The outpouring of love and support was more than amazing! And it just keeps coming, and from so many unexpected people and places. Yes, Cancer Sucks but seeing the love and support it brings is wonderful!
However, for me even more spectacular than seeing such love and support from everyone else was watching my family pull together. The way that they support each other is so heartwarming, each bringing their own unique light to help brighten this crazy path. And then there is Anne. How wonderful to see the beauty and courage of my daughter. I keep saying…”If you didn’t know she had cancer her actions would never tell you!” Her sense of humor, her ability to listen to and react to the overwhelming amount of information is unbelievable. She’s not perfect. No one is. But she is really remarkable. She approaches cancer as she does most things, know the facts, make choices and then move forward. It is amazing to see your child handle things so beautifully. She is amazing! My family is amazing! Our friends and family are amazing! Her coworkers are amazing!
So, yes, CANCER SUCKS! But seeing such caring and love pour out from so many also makes part of this journey pretty wonderful! I have little doubt that Anne will be one of “the survivors”. In the years to come I hope that I never forget the beauty and love that I saw everyday that I was “helping Anne”! Thank you everyone for showing me the other side …the Wonderful World of Cancer!
Anne it is great that U are getting better. I know U are going to pull through. It is truly been a strange thing for me to watch one of my former players have to battle this. As a coach U never envision your players having to deal with these types of things. As I have followed your blog it is remarkable how well U have worked through this process. I pray for U all the time to be completely healed & that U will learn & grow as a result of this. I have learned myself throughout my life that my greatest moments of faith & growth have been during the toughest times of my life. It is also great that U have such a great support team. I have faith U will come out of this.
ReplyDelete