After classes finished (my last post), finals happened (more stressful for the students than me), I hunkered down and did some grading, attending graduation where "President Bartlett" accepted an honorary degree...
Haha, I'm the one taking the picture in the middle left.
It was different than last year as I knew the majority of students graduating from our programs. We line up and give hugs, and I said goodbye to a lot of really great kids. The next day I finally finished uploading grades and I was done done.
What a year. It seems like so long, yet in some ways it flew by. I know I don't give myself enough credit for not just surviving, but continuing to thrive (as my colleagues, friends, family, etc remind me) this year. Remember those Lessons to Remember from a past post? Here's another one...
Anne, you're capable of giving yourself credit.
You did it on this blog. For "everyone". Do it more often. You deserve it.
But enough of the mushy stuff...
The summer brings about a time of renewal for academics and it's an important one. I've allowed myself to take it pretty easy this first week. It'll be a busy summer of research and advising students, but I checked out a little bit the past few days which was needed. It probably helped it felt like summer as it was nearly 90 here!
Speaking of heat, how's radiation? Well, it continues to go pretty well. I started to have the skin irritations I was warned of, including peeling skin (I'll save you the grisly photos on here, but if you want to see, just let me know...). It has led to a new use for pantyliners though..
Got to prevent any rubbing...
My preferred mode of transportation to and from treatment has been my trusty (and pretty!) commuter bike:
With very useful pannier and basket.
It feels pretty good to walk in to that place, helmet in hand, glistening a little (or a lot) from some sweat. Brings a sense of control back. It's about a 3 mile ride from campus, with a little hill to push me a bit. The way from there to my house has a couple bigger hills...while pretty, my bike isn't necessarily made for climbing, but it gives me a good quad burn!
If only a were running...and at that pace...
"Speaking" of running, I ran today! And a little last Friday! I did the 4 mile run/walk last Friday that Runners Plus sponsored, a good (but hot!) time with my friend Maura. This morning, I met up with my colleague Diana in Yellow Springs to jog/walk on the bike path there. Wasn't jogging fast, didn't jog the whole 5 miles, but I did jog a bit. Considering it's been about 9 months since I was jogging routinely, I'd say the baby steps are moving in the right direction.
Tuesday night, I was very "urban" and went to free group yoga downtown at the Riverscape Pavillion. Go w/ the Flow Yoga was teaching to 300 people! It was pretty fun.
I'm on the middle left again, this time not taking a picture.
So as you might guess from my activity levels, other than the peeling skin, I'm not having any ill effects of the radiation (i.e. fatigue). Hormone therapy is alright as well, though the hot flashes have returned. Those combined with heat and my stubbornness to refuse to turn on my A/C in May leads to pretty sweaty nights. Considering these treatments will last years, perhaps I should invest in these, or these.
One of the side effects I'm working my way out of is that whole hair loss thing from chemo. It continues to grow and I'm in a pretty awkward fro stage right now....
Post workout...always the worst time.
Fortunately, "product" comes in handy and helps tame the beast. I've sort of moved out of the spiky look and into a combed 'do...thinking that could be an easier transition to a longer hairstyle.
Back is still a curly mess...
Other than the awkwardness of growing hair out, things are good. Had friends over for Cinco de Mayo (if you've never made slow cooker carnitas, you need to...so good, so easy), played some croquet, had some good times. I'm looking forward to being in this great house for a full summer. I've already taken advantage of some good deck time while doing work, watching Netflix, etc.
"Speaking" of Netflix, I'm nearing the end of my recent binge...Gilmore Girls. I pretty much want to marry Luke Danes.
Can't you see it?!
I watch too much TV. I know this. After I'm done with GG I'm taking a break from screentime and going to get some reading in. I usually avoid reading because a lot of times it'll keep me up at night, but it's the summer! Less of a structured schedule allows for some flexibility, including catching up on sleep if necessary :)
Think that's about it for the update. I booked a flight out to California at the end of May to visit (mom will be there too!), do some shopping for Sarah's wedding (two months from today!), and celebrate being done with radiation! Looking forward to that!



No comments:
Post a Comment