Saturday, August 15, 2015

Cancerversary

Happy Cancerversary to me!

What is a cancerversary you ask?  Well, it's my self-declared term for my year past diagnosis mark.  However, as discussed with Mom this morning, I always struggle a little with when my diagnosis was.  Was it when the ultrasound with the BIRADS 6 was reported?  Was it when the biopsy was done? Reported? When we followed-up?  So like most things cancer-related, I'm just deciding and moving forward. 

So, today, August 15th is the "official" day.  It's the day the biopsy results were reported.  And, as it happens, I'm working at the running store again. 

Here's where I was a year ago when I got The Call.  Hair's a little shorter now, I drove myself since Mom's not here, and that was an afternoon not a Saturday morning.  Sidenote: I got my second post-hair growth hair cut yesterday.  Had to tame the fro a bit.  Not really looking forward to actually having to get haircuts every 5-6 weeks like you're supposed to with short hair, but it's probably worth it at this time. 

So I'm a year out.  Getting ready (used loosely because I'm a master procrastinator) to start another school year without having to worry about how I was going to manage cancer+life.  I guess I'll break it down categorically to assess where I'm at...

Health
Doing well!  I had a follow up appointment in Indiana last week for the clinical trial oral medication I'm on.  I continue to do well, though my white counts are getting a little low (expected side effect) so we may have to hold off the drug at the end of this month.  So that drug combined with my hormonal regimen (daily oral meds, monthly shot) will continue on, hopefully preventing any recurrences.

I saw the plastic surgeon this week as well.  Last time I was in was right after radiation ended and I was a burned up mess, so I needed some time to heal.  We scheduled a procedure for the week of Thanksgiving so he can go in and 'clean up' the capsule, lower the implant, and try to make things more symmetrical.  Should be a fairly easy procedure (anesthesia but outpatient at his office) but the break from school will provide and opportunity to recover.

Having the procedure in November will also allow me to finish the half marathon in October that I'm "training" (again, used loosely) for.  As a sign of how I'm improving, I'm able to be active again and have been relatively successful in slowly progressing back towards my pre-cancer weight.  I'm looking forward to the routine and schedule of the school year to help with 'staying on the wagon'. 

The side effects of treatment are pretty minimal, just the annoyance of hot flashes and possibly a bit of fatigue (so hard to diagnose...how do you distinguish between fatigue and just being tired from life?!). 

Work
The summer was good, though potentially not quite as productive as I would have liked.  My students did well.  It's always fun to see them learn and I really enjoy being a mentor.

While I'm definitely looking forward to not having to balance working with the cancer stuff, it also allows me to put pressure on myself.  If I was able to manage to do well, be involved, teach, etc, during that time, now I really have to step it up!! :)  I keep reminding myself of the balance that was forced upon me last year, and realizing that I don't have to spend 24-7 thinking/working about work.  We'll see how that goes...  I really did sort of just "bulldoze" (to quote my shrink) through it.  I'm looking forward to a more "normal" year, and try to remind myself that it is still just my third year and I'm not expected to know everything, be everything, do everything, for everyone.  (I should probably bookmark this post for future reference...).
 
As part of the 'work' category I should mention that while I enjoy my time at Runners Plus, I'm also balancing that with having fun and enjoying life.  I probably was a little psychotic to work two jobs during most of my treatments last year.  So I'll take some weekends off for fun things, travel, etc.
 
"Life" (i.e. the rest of it)
Life remains always interesting!  I've enjoyed being in my house this summer, taking care of a few chores...
Boxspring surgery was easier than anticipated, and left room for a nicely cleaned garage (hooray shopvacs!)
 
and having friends over for casual conversation, drinks, and yard games...exactly what summers are for! 
 
I found myself in a hospital again last week helping Grandma 'Tucci recover from a kidney stone/infection...
Granddaughter of the year?!
happy to report she's back at home, getting stronger, and always her stubborn self!

The rest of life is back to a seemingly normal existence.  While driving to Chicago (again used loosely since sitting on a country road for the 50 mile detour of I-65 being closed shouldn't be considered 'driving') I listened to a terrific audiobook:
Aziz's Ansari's Modern Romance, which Amazon says "..Ansari combines his irreverent humor with cutting-edge social science to give us an unforgettable tour of our new romantic world".  It's true, it's funny and yet based on actual research, and a combination of hope and despair.  Basically, being single, while great in many ways (like the Saturday I mowed my lawn, shopvac'd my garage, who needs a man?!) including total control of TV binge-watching, can still sort of suck at times.  And the possibility and options of ending the singledom are not always that amazing.  Cancer was sort of a nice excuse to "not be dating right now", as if dating is something that you just turn on in your life whenever you want.  And now, at this 'year out' point, I guess maybe I'm "ready" again.  Which probably just means my head is less full of thoughts on appointments, copayments, and surgical options and able to wander to things like finding a person to 'do life' with.  Remind me to probably NOT link to this blog in a future online dating profile I'll inevitably create.

I've got the fun trips coming up like the First Descents climbing trip in NY in just a few short weeks!  Adult summer camp in Michigan not long after.  I'm going to do a short little talk at a UD sorority's philanthropy event to raise money for and awareness of breast cancer.  Sarah's wedding celebration in California in October.  So much fun this fall!  And I think a healthy balance (my mom's FAVORITE word) of cancer and non-cancer related activities. 

So I guess there are a few things left reporting on, probably in this once a month type timeframe.  We'll see how the next few months of "last year at this time...." goes, might make me want to share a bit more.  At this point, as I was forced into last year at this time, I need to just go with the flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment