Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Cancerversary Year 3 Update

Hello friends, it's been awhile.  Almost a year and a half in fact since my last blog.  For good reason, I've been busy living it up, having fun, seeing places, and haven't really thought of myself as 'cancer patient Anne'.  But today, is anniversary #3, three years since those biopsy results confirmed the malignancy that grew inside of me and I thought it appropriate to briefly update anyone who might still be subscribed here and provide more info for any of the Facebook curious that might click this link. 

So what have I been up to in year 3 A.C (after cancer, of course!). 

A few notable things, mostly all good, since Aug 2016...

-August celebrations of Tucci's 90th birthday in Chicago!  What a hell of a lady.
Image may contain: 12 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor


-Labor Day reunion with First Descents friends in Nederland, Colorado.  We climbed, we talked, we reconnected (those able to make the trip) and missed those who couldn't.  Our dear friend Pinky would be able to join us and we would lose him earlier this year.  I'm so glad I got to spend those days with such a courageous fighter. 
Image may contain: 8 people, people smiling, people sitting, table and indoorImage may contain: 7 people, people standing, sky, shoes, child, outdoor and nature


-late September Denver wedding fun for my grad school friend Cat and reconnecting with such wonderful folk that way.
Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing and night


-early October- Celebrating the US victory in the Ryder Cup at Hazeltine National, across the street from my old high school.  I loved catching up with old friends and meeting new babies that have joined the crew.
Image may contain: 2 people, outdoor


-early November- Surfing in Mexico with First Descents on an alumni trip.  This was quite the experience, meeting a new cohort of brave souls, some decades past diagnosis.  It gave me a new network of young survivors that I admire.  Surfing is hard, but super fun, and I felt so lucky to be able to go. 




The money I raised to qualify me for the trip supported others' first FD experiences...later in 2016 one of my students would be diagnoses with chronic myeloid leukemia.  I was so happy to share with her about FD trips and like to think my fundraising supported her spring climbing trip that she loved.  I'm sure she'll carry the experience with her as she starts med school this fall. I'll make my plug now...if you're looking to support me and a wonderful organization that provides such a valuable support system to others, please consider donating, even a small amount, to my fundraising page here. 


-Thanksgiving- in Boise with the whole family.  Another new niece joined the crew and it was nice to not be bald this time around!
Image may contain: 12 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoor




-A quiet Christmas in Chicago with Mom and 'Tucci.  Seeing Hamilton and buying lucky scratch tickets.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, indoor and closeup


-An amazing New Year's trip to Morocco with my dear friend and colleague Erica.  It's a great country that I'd highly recommend visiting.  A taste of the Facebook albums here.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, riding on a horse, sky, outdoor and nature


-The spring was spent busy with work and far less traveling.  A conference trip to Chicago reconnected me with past colleagues I'm grateful to have worked with. 


-In May, a quick conference in Michigan then off on the adventure of leading a study abroad trip in Santiago, Chile.  I had been there with faculty the summer before, but leading students was different, and in a great way.  It was lovely to connect with them outside of class and spend a month in such a wonderful country.  A couple friends visited, I spent time with my coworker's family, and the culture remained one that I enjoy.  A taste of the Facebook albums here
Image may contain: 16 people, people smiling, people sitting and outdoor


-Over the 4th of July, I joined family in climbing Independence in Grand Junction, something I don't think I would have imagined ever really doing (even before cancer).  Sharing that with family and other time in nature revitalized my sense of adventure.  Physically, the climb was made much easier due to my diligence in losing the additional weight I had gained as a result of treatment and lifestyle choices the past couple of years.  I'm happy to report I'm down 50+ pounds to my normal weight and continue to pursue getting stronger and fitter.  I'm indebted to my trainer and friend Ryan Patrick for helping me stay on track. 
Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature


-Around this time, I finished my Indiana University Clinical trial (palbociclib) drug.  I go tomorrow for my last visit with that doc and appreciate the opportunity to help reduce my risk of recurrence as well as contribute to science.


-In August, I reconnected with my Minnesota WU Crew ladies...the first time all 6 of us had been together since the Twin Cities Marathon just after my diagnosis while I was still in treatment.  It's so wonderful to see some of them as moms, all of us as strong and wonderful women. 
Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people sitting, table, tree, outdoor and indoor


-Quickly after I headed to Boise to spend time with the Idaho Crecelii unable to make it to GJ in July.  Love those guys and grateful for a few days with the kiddos (including Violet, not pictured).
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting, child, closeup and indoorImage may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting, outdoor, water and nature


-My adventuring friend Erica propositioned me with a Glacier National Park backpacking trip that I couldn't deny and I have just returned home from that.  It was my first time overnight in the backcountry and won't be my last.  We did 50+ miles and about 10,000 ft elevation over the week...again, I'm so grateful to be up to these physical challenges.  I was reminded of my 'condition' when I suffered a little bit of swelling and had to wear my lymphedema sleeve but that couldn't stop me from hiking, kayaking, and enjoying the breathtaking scenery that surrounded us. 
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, mountain, sky, plant, outdoor, nature and waterImage may contain: 2 people, people smiling, mountain, sky, ocean, outdoor, nature and water


-Yes, I do still have a job :) Though I'm grateful for the flexibility and time off that allows me these travels.  Professionally, I've continued to work hard and still really enjoy working with students.  I'm grateful that over the past year I've been involved with our Strategic Visioning process and our Institute of Applied Creativity for Transformation among my other commitments.  UD is a great place with exciting things happening. 

Overall, I am well, in fact, I'd go so far as great.  Cancer still sucks.  Just this weekend it took another great man from the UD and Dayton community.  Stranger Susie who quilted my wonderful blanket also succumbed this year. 

While this isn't meant to be a political platform I will say that this year has also been one where I've taken much more of an advocate and activist role.  I Marched for Science in Chicago (never thought that would need to be a thing), and I've written and called my representatives numerous times, sharing my story and the importance of adequate healthcare and protection for those with pre-existing conditions.  I worry about the funding of federal agencies like the NIH that are tasked with supporting the development of the treatments that have allowed me to have such wonderful adventures and truly hope that the amazing National Parks, Monuments, and protected places I've enjoyed remain these kinds of sanctuaries.  I have come to further appreciate that differences in culture are essential to humanity and make us stronger, not weaker.  As great as my personal life has been, I worry about these things like many others do too.  While I appreciate donations to First Descents, there are so may organizations that need support right now, it's difficult to prioritize. 

I'm thankful for the continued concern of those around me and my ability to now be in a position where I'm able to also provide support to the newly diagnosed.  I'll do my best to stay Out Living It, and encourage you to as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment