This morning, I finished "Everyday I Fight" by Stuart Scott.
Get it. It's great. Maybe it's because I know his voice from all those years on ESPN so when I read it, I felt like her was talking to me. Maybe it's because of that ESPY speech that I blogged about when he passed. Maybe it's because it's recent, current.
Or, maybe it's just because he got it. He writes about his time in CancerWorld with ease and grace. I connected with so much of what he said throughout. As he says, cancer brings people together. On the surface, why would I connect with a millionaire, African-American 49 year old divorcee with 2 daughters? But cancer gets below the surface, literally and figuratively, and there's a connection among "us"...those with the/have had the cancer.
So thanks Stu. Thanks for the relaxing morning that ended in me re-watching your powerful worlds and sitting in a puddle of tears. You fought, so hard. And while we're worse off for not having you around, I think this book carries new meaning with your passing. Reading it makes me want to fight, to keep fighting, and one day, when I probably will have to fight again, to face it like the warrior you were.
Boo-yah.

ordered.
ReplyDelete