While going through security today I got some extra special treatment/reminder of the whole cancer thing so may as well start there. The Monday prior to Thanksgiving I had another plastic surgery, to try to improve the symmetry on the reconstructed side (or even out the boobs as my one friend more bluntly put it, which I love her for). More on that later but it means I'm back in my dreaded friend, the chest bandeau binder. It's awful. And apparently, the Velcro is enough metal to set off metal detectors and not just get the pat down hand swipe for explosives residue but get to go in the back and get it swiped and further patted down. As the TSA supervisor was doing her thing I said if I had had plastic surgery and you have to wear this bra thing to keep things in place and she cheerily said "oh that's why you have such a nice one! I could use that" I semi-snarkily replied "yeah, just get cancer first". To which she then obviously said "I'm sorry, but so glad to see you're in remission". Maybe presumptuous, but just being nice. It all didn't really bother me, just served as one of those little reminders that I sometimes forget about. Needless to say, I'll be taking the binder off prior to security on my way home tomorrow and during Christmas travels.
The procedure went well and the best part was that Mom came out to help with things and spend the week with me. As the surgeon was drawing on me that morning during prep he made a game time decision to do some fat injections to help soften things. Essentially a little bit of free stomach liposuction. Sounds pretty nice, particularly since I've been a little lazy and am slow on getting the steroid/chemo weight gain but did make me pretty sore. YouTube the videos of the lips procedure...they aren't very gentle. Also, apparently many doctors recommend that afterwards you have to wear abdominal compression....for weeks... I thought the bandeau was bad! The one they sent me home with was terrible' way too stiff, rose up on my hips, etc. After my week checkin with the surgeon I was allowed to transition to lighter stuff like spanx. Still sucks to be burrito wrapped 24/7. Karmic payback for saying that it'd be fun to be completely wrapped in ace bandages when I was a middle schooler.
Not as fun as I thought
Aesthetically, I think I'll be pretty happy with things, so this may be my last semi-major (requiring general anesthesia) surgery hopefully. The recovery wasn't bad and because of the holiday and No Teach Tuesdays, I just had to miss a single day of work. That Wednesday, Mom and I drove out to aindianapolis for my check in there. It was nice for her to see that Cancer Center and meet that doc. At this point, the "boring " appointments of "you're easy, you're doing great" will do.
The thought of recurrences has been more on my mind lately. A good friend from my First Descents trip had a recurrence that has him currently in chemo. The woman who also spoke at the Maple Tree dinner has as well. Other FD friends continue their fight. They are all reminders to me of what could happen. Though, there's not much else I can do other than what I am, so I just continue to move forward, I'll be glad to eye my surgeon in January for my one year follow up. I see my primary medical oncologist next week also and think those appointments may stretch out to 6 months, so that would be a good transition as well.
My climbing buddy Star was a Rock Star on FDs page
Mom and I spent a super relaxing Thanksgiving here in Dayton. Quite the contrast to last years quick travel to Phoenix for a whole family get together of 24 hrs and then flying back for a Friday chemo treatment. Instead on Black Friday we saw "The 33", a movie about the Chilean miners that were trapped. It was enjoyable and the wide shots made me excited for my trip to a child this summer. Our itinerary isn't quite set, but I'm hoping we will get up to the Atacama Desert.
In addition to having mom here to keep my place much cleaner than it ever is when I'm alone, it was nice to just have someone else in the house. We watched a lot of sports, movies, ate well and in general relaxed. Prior to the rush of the end of the semester, it was quite the treat!
I am on somewhat restricted activity till I see the plastics guy in January but got talked into doing a Resolution Run in Fort Collins when I'm visiting Colorado after family Christmas in Arizona. I better get off and start doing something! Been a little lazy post half marathon. It was nice to be able to agree to plamying Broomball for the upcoming outdoor season...I missed those guys! Unfortunately my plan to keep climbing post FD trip hasn't yet materialized so it's another resolution for 2016.
So that's about it. I reread my blog posts a couple weeks ago. I think it was when mom was here and neither of could remember where we spent Easter. It was nice to have the record and be reminded of a few of the things that I observed throughout the past year plus.
Crazy times in this crazy world we live in. Here's to a more peaceful and reasonable 2016. Best of everything to you and yours this holiday season!





No comments:
Post a Comment