Saturday, May 22, 2021

New drug, new post

As always, I continue to be overwhelmed and so grateful for the amount of support I have in my life.  The past few weeks, between the Science article, the news about progression, stopping wearing my head scarf, etc.  Big to small, you all are awesome.  Thank you.  

A fairly (at least anticipated because I have dinner guests arriving soon!) quick update on the new drug.

Quickly science background is that Halavan works to disrupt microtubules which are important for cell growth.  Cool.  I’m not an organic chemist or a pharmacologist so I don’t really know why that means that we can give the dose over a 3 min push into an IV versus a bag that hangs for 20 min, but that’s the case.  The chemo routine is pretty much the same.  Arrive, grab a chair, look to confirm I’m the youngest in the room by a solid couple of decades most of the time, politely chat with the nurse (usually the same, although sometimes a floater).  Last week, for my first dose, I had to sign the consent, but since I’m a veteran there wasn’t much preamble.  IV in the arm (thank you right arm for being such a good target for so many sticks!).  Draw blood for labs.  Hang out for 15 min while labs run.  Have the nurse hand over and say they are fine (thus far) and then actually examine them to see what that really means.  After that they can prep drugs.  I do get a steroid pre-treatment with this one.  It’s common to prevent nausea and can help with any allergic reactions. 20 min later I’m done with that and the nurse sits and slowly pushes the drug for.a couple minutes.  About an hour both times, pretty slick.

So far, so good and I seem to be tolerating it well.  Have some rosy cheeks/facial flushing, but nothing overly concerning.  No nausea or other GI distress.  Energy levels are decent.  I played a doubles tennis match last Saturday.  I’m going adventuring tomorrow.  So far no major neuropathy (tingling, loss of sensation in arms in feet), although that can occur more commonly as doses accumulate.

Next week I have off, then I’ll see the doc for monthly checkup, full lab work up before starting cycle 2 (remember it’s a 3 week cycle, 2 on, 1 off).

Mentally I continue to vacillate a bit between being pretty good and planning my funeral.  Literally.  I sent my BFF some amazing insomnia fueled texts with plans for the anti-funeral I have in my head (think about like a graduation picnic/party, at various sites across the nation, possibly with branded material and party favors).  Shared it with my mom too.  By the way, MY MOM ROCKS.  I realize Mother’s Day is has passed, but seriously, she’s the best.  Tough lady, super loving, and so far our mutual plan of being totally honest and being able to talk about “real” stuff is going well.  I read things on Facebook cancer groups about people who “don’t know how to tell” their parents, or have these troubles relationships and not only do I not relate to it, I generally tell my mom exactly how much I can’t relate to it and how lucky we are.  But in addition to sketching out possible end of life plans, I’ve also sketched out basically a trip a month, with adventures in between.  

I did make one decision that was somewhat motivated by possible declines in the future as well as other factors.  I’m moving!  While I love my little house, I’m looking forward to moving to a pretty sweet 1 story, with attached 2 car garage apartment, a little in the burbs, but still close to lots of things and 20 minutes from work.  I won’t move till September, so much more on that later.

Work has shifted to summer mode...SUPER quiet, shorts and sandals, and shorter hours.  I’ve got some great students working with me for research, so am confident in building some good momentum going into sabbatical.  Some of the students are documented their work by posting to a new lab Instagram account...give it a follow!  @ud_physiology It gives a good luck into my life. Sharing health news at work is always the hardest, but again, everyone is supportive and willing to be flexible and that relieves a lot of stress.

I was able to volunteer for our in person graduation and so was one of the few faculty able to congratulate our students.  Many shared that it was so nice seeing a friendly face and with my uncertain future, I was really happy to be able to be there.

Friends have arrived so as good of a stopping place as ever! I’ll just go sans links and pics with this one!


2 comments:

  1. Love you cousin, and you are right. Your mom is awesome. We miss you so much can't wait to plan a trip to see you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, I love your energy and honesty! You do have a wonderful mom.❤ Thank God for all the support, but also for the beautiful person you are. Love, Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete