First off, go Flyers!! What a game last night. I enjoyed it from the Arena, in impulsively bought tickets that I really enjoyed. While we didn't play great, we managed the win and continue on to the "second" round tomorrow.
I don't think the Flyers will actually make it all the way to the Final Four in Indianapolis, but that's where I found myself today.
The IU Cancer Center is along the lines of other major University Hospitals and quite nice. Though I must say I think I have developed a fondness for my "small town" doctors offices.
I killed some time checking scores and reading up on different treatments. The appointment was fine, a nice lengthy discussion. I'm a bit too tired to go into too much depth, so here are the highlights.
-I'll be switching the hormone therapy I'm currently on. I currently take tamoxifen (blocks estrogen receptors) and instead will take two different drugs, one to suppress my ovaries (from producing estrogen) and one to inhibit the precursor to estrogen. Essentially to limit estrogen, the fuel for the growth of my Cancer cells. Hopefully, by taking this more aggressive approach, and cells that might be floating around will die rather than grow and become a tumor deposit, likely in bone, possibly in other breast or other areas. The lack of a response to chemo, tumor size, characteristics, etc are concerning enough that this approach is needed. Infertility isn't assumed, though may be more likely. However, the improvement/reduction in recurrence rates with this therapy merits trying it. And importantly, like my doctor said, there's multiple ways to bring a child into your family.
-At least three weeks after I finish radiation, I'll most likely join a clinical trial. In this trial, I'll either get a drug to go along with my hormone therapy that may help even more (targets another part of this signaling), or the placebo. Make a few visits early on, less throughout he year of taking it and then participate in follow up for a good while.
Maybe not such a short version. I just figured I would quickly update since I have a friend in town over the weekend and will bewatching lots of hoops :)
Implant swap out surgery is Monday, something I sometimes forget! Too much on the brain. Had I been thinking I would have scheduled on opening weekend, of as some say, the best two days in sports!
Hope your brackets are less busted than mine...
No comments:
Post a Comment