After a somewhat terrible night of sleep, nearly overslept getting up for my echocardiogram this morning. This was just a routine pre-chemo (specifically the doxorubicin which in high doses can cause heart failure) check. Went rather quickly, I got a little nostalgic listening to the sweet sounds of doppler, reminding me of the years in the lab in Fort Collins.
Went to the office after but only for a bit as I had to fast pre-procedure for the port placement so was headachey (thanks to my lack of morning coffee) and hangry even at 10 am. A nap at home felt pretty awesome, then it was off to yet another facility (we're making the rounds of hospitals here in Dayton) for the port placement.
After checking in, went to pre-op.
Give me the good stuff!
The gowns were kinda cool in that they could be "warming" though it also made me feel a bit like a vacuum cleaner:
The plastic lining of the gown was plenty warm enough for me.
After finally getting a quick snack, changed and was on my way home with Mom. Stopped for some food, completely ignoring the directions to avoid spicy and greasy food, and am now resting.
Yes that is Mickey Mouse. Writing is surgeon's handiwork, good stuff hidden by dressing.
The biggest disappointment of the day was having to miss my first meeting of my Physiology class this afternoon at 4:30. I had hoped to make it, but alas, had to start practicing my "asking for help" thing that I'm going to have to get used to. Coworkers came through to cover, and since it was just "syllabus day" it could have been much worse.
Shoutout to the WU Crew for a great care package. Managed to make a couple phone calls to friends...the list is long and growing, so I apologize in advance if it takes awhile. I also know that the comments and email subscription to the blog haven't been super user friendly...if using it on mobile, make sure that when commenting you're either signed into a google account or change the drop down option to "anonymous" (but then let me know who you are!). As for subscription...easiest I think if you have a google account, if not, I'm not sure...I'll probably be pretty consistent about posting for these first milestone events if you want to just check in.
More fun post tomorrow after wig shopping and hair cutting!
Looking forward to your wig pics lovely! I had never seen a vacuum gown before, always teaching us new things about life.
ReplyDeleteI had a warming vacuum gown for my sinus surgery in June! Woohoo! I love getting these updates, as much as I hate them all at the same time. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Love, Sonja
ReplyDeleteAnother excellent blog post. The pictures are key. Wish I could be there for wigs 'n' cuts! Obviously, pictures...
ReplyDeleteAnne, best of luck tomorrow. We are all thinking of you. Curt and Krystal are in town for a week so we will all be together on Sunday. We will say a prayer and at 7:00 P.M. our time we will give you one big family hug. I hope you feel it when it happens!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Uncle Larry and Aunt Lynn
very cool… i bet she feels it a couple states away :)
Deletesarah.
I love the Mickey shout out :). GOOD LUCK tomorrow!! Will be thinking about you all day!!!
ReplyDeletepositive thoughts and heartfelt prayers are being sent your way! love, Kathy
ReplyDelete