Thursday, August 28, 2014

Gettin' Hairs Cut

With a bit of a sore arm, after a vicodin-aided night of sleep, I headed to work for a "normal" day.  Taught for the first time, after missing class yesterday, my mixed grad/undergrad research methods class.  It was syllabus day and explained my "situation" during my introduction, as it may affect class (late-notice cancellations, not in office, etc.).  It was a little different doing this to a room of nearly 40 wide-eyed students, many of whom I'm had before, rather than the typical one-one conversations I've had lately.  I'm sure it was a bit of a shock, but hopefully it just serves as a reminder...the title of the blog, that you're never too young.

Reminder...Check your Chickens ladies.

It was also a little strange to be the center of attention again.  Teaching is a lot like being an entertainer in some ways, trying to keep an audience engaged and enthused about what you're doing.  While it was comforting to be back doing something I enjoy, I was also a little hesitant about being in the "spotlight".  I know my cancer isn't anything to be ashamed of and that it doesn't define me, but I may need to keep reminding myself of that, particularly when the physical changes begin to show.

Speaking of physical changes...today was a big day...HAIR day.

My friend Andria, a roommate from Dayton who now lives in Columbus came down to share in the fun.  We started with an appointment at a wig shop...the serious kind...lots of talking and consulting about styling, not just trying random things on.  As they say, pictures say a thousand words...
Bill did a lot of brushing...and yes, the earpiece stayed in the whole time

Matching colors...I'm cappuccino

 Looking at styles...

The "Samantha" is really nice...

Let's try one on...I'm not too sure about it...


Maybe I should just go multicolor...

Mom and Andria were a little weirded out by the natural hair options...

Bill suggested I stay away from the cheap machine stitched ones.

I didn't make a purchase just yet as I need to check with the insurance company about what my coverage for a "cranial prosthetic" might be.  I'm also not sure how much I'm going to want to wear a wig vs scarves/hats, etc.  I think it'll be nice to have an option that doesn't scream "I have cancer!" for certain meetings at work, etc. but I'm also not sure whether I will want to switch from one to another or wear the wig all the time.  Who knows.  Like with most of this, trying to keep an open and dynamic mind about it all.  Bill seems nice, and would provide good upkeep and styling, so would probably go back if I go in that direction.

After the wig stop and a quick stop for an ice cream snack (days are always improved with ice cream and naps), it was off to the salon!  I had decided I would cut my hair so that when it begins to fall out, cleanup is easier and it's less of a change.  When it's actually ready to fall out, I'm sort of looking forward to recreating this scene.  Ordered some skull caps to sleep in and catch hair from Amazon today (they really do have everything, and who can beat Prime shipping!).

I'll let the pictures do the talking (Mom was great paparazzi).  
The "Before" with my wonderful supporters!

And the "After!"  Donating to Pantene Beautiful Lengths to help others fighting cancer.

Andria donated too!  She's done it many times before :)

Another "After".  Short and smiling!

I think the stylist was a little overwhelmed when I briefly showed her pictures of Jennifer Lawrence and said things like "like a pixie, but maybe longer....oh, this is a pixie?  Oh, ok.  Yeah, well whatever, it's going to be gone in like a week anyway.  Seriously, just use your best judgement."

It's all becoming a bit more real with every step forward.  Still feeling pretty good about things.  Had a random "blurt" today...one of the associate deans asked how yesterday went and if I taught and I just sort of casually said "Oh, no, actually, I've recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and start chemo tomorrow so was having a procedure done in prep for that".  People don't really know how to respond to that.  I don't blame them.  I did however manage to use my filter when I saw a former student who had testicular cancer last semester and resisted high-fiving him and saying "Hey! I'm part of Cancer Club now too!"  So there's that.

Treatment is set for 11 tomorrow and I'm not going to bother going in to work first.  Here's hoping I'm still as positive then!


1 comment: