Saturday, December 20, 2014

End of the Semester Update

Semester's over!  I probably shouldn't sound so happy about it, but it does feel like even more of an accomplishment this year.  It's been an interesting semester to say the least...

The week was spent mostly grading...exams, papers, etc.  Grades uploaded on Thursday after Christmas movie watching all day...I may have to post about the wondrous options available of Netflix...there are a few gems for sure.

I had treatment 9 of 12 on Friday and all went well.  After treatment, I had the pleasure of serving as the "client" in a how-to exercise video for Maple Tree that they are producing for breast cancer patients post-surgery.
 
 
It was kind of fun and I'm excited to see the end product!  Was also probably good to get an idea of the range of motion exercises I can expect to do post-surgery...which is still to be decided the details of after a January surgical consult.  

Work at the store and home to find another wonderful handmade gift from a friend of a friend at my door.

I absolutely love the color of this large slouchy-style hat!  Also, as I was looking back on some facebook posts I came across this hilariously foreshadowing one from July...
 
Had we only known then that I would be chopping it off to that length in a month and lose it all weeks later!
 
This morning I attended our fall commencement, welcoming ~500 new Dayton Alumni.
 
 
And I'm happy to say that my gown I invested in fits well, was definitely worth the extra $10 for pockets and the goofy hat comes in handy when you have no hair!
 

 
That's Corinne and I, a great source of sanity at work.  Got to love the #selfies.  It's nice to see more students that I've had and recognize walk at these ceremonies.  The beauty of a small school is that as faculty we come down from the seats to greet our students as they pass, and it's fun to give hugs and handshakes and wish them good luck in the wonderful world ahead of them. 
 
Speaking of students, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how impressed I've been with how they handled my condition this semester.  As things wrapped up the past few weeks, I had a number of comments and conversations with them, with well-wishes and appreciation for my efforts given what I've been dealing with.  The support from everyone has been impressive, but for some reason, coming when it comes from 18-22 year olds, it warms my heart that much more. 
 
The work ladies and I got together on Tuesday for a drink and this was one of the main points I talked about.  As much as I know that my attitude has allowed me to be a positive influence on them, their kind words have truly helped me remain positive about it all.  And, none of them have complained about their grades so far, so that's always good :)
 
I leave tomorrow for California for the holiday and can't hardly wait!  Wish the whole family was together, but am happy to be able to be with some.  I'm also very much looking forward to seeing some sunshine as the endlessly grey days here in the wonderful Midwest are getting a tad bit old and the early darkness is getting to me.  Let's say I'm pretty glad that tomorrow is the winter solstice and days will start to get longer. 
 
In closing, as I'm not sure if I'll post again before the holiday (likely not as I'm trying to check out for a few days) I'll leave you with this gem from Christmas past...still one of my favorites!
 
 
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
 

1 comment:

  1. Please tell me you still have that sweater. Also... Sorry I made you take another picture when it looked like you didn't have hair... No hair is sexy as s*** and I would take 100 pictures with your bad no hair self. 😳

    ReplyDelete