Before diving into the mounds of grading I have to do over the next week, I thought I'd post a quick update.
The week was a bit of a crazy one. Last semester I had the semi-insane idea that I should do an oral portion of final cumulative exams in my physiology class. It's typically used more at the graduate level but I think it's a good idea to have an individual conversation with the students and it also forces them to start studying a bit earlier and have some feedback on where they are at (lower stakes than the written portion). The downside is, scheduling 15-20 minute times with students (even just 1 section of 30 this semester) adds up. And, this week, I was going to be out for 1.5 days so it made the schedule even more packed.
Tuesday I was suppose to depart at 3:00pm for Washington DC for a quick meeting for the American Physiological Society Communications Committee that I start serving a 3-year term on this January. Due to a variety of delays, we didn't get out till after 5 but eventually made it into Reagan only to meet my Towncar awaiting my arrival (I felt fancy, I'll admit it). After arriving in Bethesda, I quickly met my friend Kevin who had recently moved there (and is enjoying it!) and it was SO nice to catch up.
Wednesday was spent all day in the meeting, talking about social media, reaching out the lay public (check out this site if you ever want to learn more about physiology), eating some nice breakfast and lunch, etc all within the confines of a conference room and 10 foot radius. Thankfully the flight back was without delay. I shared a car back to the airport with another committee member who was actually a survivor (HER2 positive breast cancer about 5 years back). It was nice to chat with her about things. She was also saying how it's amazing because she was able to get Herceptin right after it was approved by the FDA. Had she been diagnosed even just months earlier, her prognosis would have been much worse. As she said, it's why she (and I encourage you) to support when you can, as the research can really (even if it takes a long time) make a difference.
Thursday was jam packed with about 15 oral exams, a poster session for my research class (that went well) at noon and importantly, picking up Sonja at the airport! I avoided work after dinner, and we spent the whole night talking and catching up. So much fun.
Treatment Friday morning went without event and it was nice to have company, though it kept me awake and I missed my nap! :) More good news, my labs showed that my red blood cell count is within NORMAL range again! We were joking a bit with Deena the nurse about my competitive drive to be the best patient ever! She laughed, but I think we're all glad to see numbers in the right direction. I worked a full day after treatment, and last night we went to a really fun Christmas party. Haven't stayed out that late in a while! And not thrilled to be up and posting this before 7 am...
Looking forward, it's wrapping things up....written physiology final Monday, meetings and such and as I said, lots of grading. Can't complain and my flight to San Fran on Sunday is a fantastic light at the end of the tunnel.
All in all, nothing super exciting...but hoping Sonja will guest post to share another perspective on all of this. ALSO! Another reminder for you ladies to do your monthly exam...just heard from a good friend that's getting something suspicious checked out (which hopefully will be nothing). So again, keep an eye on those girls, girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment