Wednesday, November 19, 2014

How are you?

It's really a simple question.  You've probably said it more than once today.  And people have said it you.  Crossing paths in a hallway, over the phone, in an email, whatever.  And normally, I wouldn't take much pause at the question.  It sounds routine.  But since "the whole cancer thing it isn't so routine.  Its a slight change in tone.  Holding that "are" for a touch longer.  Emphasizing the "you". 

It's seemingly happened quite often this week.  The extra attention. I get it, that people care.  And I'm so, so grateful.  But how am I supposed to respond?  It seems like the routine "I'm good, you?" doesn't satisfy people.  So then it's either I divulge more information "I'm good! This new drug is great!" or try to really emphasize the thanks in a slight deviation from the routine of "I'm good, THANKS".

I had a couple of 'firsts' today!

#1, will working out at Maple Tree, I jogged a bit. When I say a bit I mean literally, a bit.  A few minutes on the treadmill.  Funny enough I was wearing a half marathon race tee.  It sucked, kinda bad.  It was the first time running since the shoe try-on day at the store while back.  But its a start.  I ended up pushing myself pretty hard at the workout and it felt pretty okay.

#2, I stopped to get a turkey on the way home so it has time to defrost before Friendsgiving at my house on Sunday.  I didn't have a casual hat with me (sidenote: slept at a friend's because my furnace was out and the house was around 40.  PSA: make sure the door to your furnace is closed all the ay as it'll shut down everything (including your thermostat) if it isn't), and only a longsleeve with a hood and post-exercise, I was pretty hot.  So, you know what, I said, F it (well you know what I actually said, but Mom doesn't really approve of my favorite word) and just rocked the bald head while shopping.  I should mention, this was the store we affectionately call "Kroghetto" here at UD so the clientele is normally a little all over the place anyways.  Regardless, it was sort of a big step for me.  I have no plans to really do the bald thing in public routinely (also because I'm starting to get fuzzy hair regrowth! yay!), but it was nice to feel like I wasn't limited or had to make myself suffer by being really hot.

Otherwise, no much is new other than I can't wait for a week when I'll be with my whole family for Turkey Day!  Let's all be glad we don't live in Buffalo and enjoy the end of the week!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the bald head, AND the signs that it isn't going to last forever :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Friendsgiving will be a blast, I'm sorry to miss it!

    ReplyDelete