It's me, Mom, back in Dayton, a return trip to see how things and Anne were doing. Also, Anne found me a $69 round trip ticket, so,how could I not come! Although I admit to being a little tired from the overnight flight it didn't take long to see that things were good. Anne was off to work. It seems like she is going strong putting in full days. Heck, she even rode her bike to and from work so I could have a car to run a few errands. (More on that later) If it wasn't for a few physical changes like her beautiful bald head, and an insatiable appetite I'd never know anything was amiss. So she was off to work while Mom / personal assistant took a 3 hour nap!
Once rested, this PA got to work. No big assignments, a little straightening and a trip to the store. Did I mention that in typical Anne style she had invited a few friends over for pumpkin carving and a little Halloween fun? No worries they weren't coming tonight, it was tomorrow. There was plenty of time to get ready. And there was. And she had a plan. Friends over after work, a "Halloween Supper" followed by pumpkin carving. So a quick trip to the store for some staples, sloppy jo fixings, donut holes, apple cider, chips, candy for trick or treaters, and a basket full of pumpkins! The usual Halloween goodies. After a relaxing dinner at home we hit the hay early.Tomorrow would be a long day.
After breakfast, Anne was again off to work while this PA had little to do but get ready for the evenings festivities. It was fun putting out her Halloween decorations getting things ready just like we had so many times before. Once again I was reminded that things seems way too normal for what should be her crazy life right now. But normal it was....good friends having fun eating, drinking, sharing stories, and yes even carving pumpkins! A quick clean up then to bed to get ready for an early morning visit to the clinic for treatment #2 of phase 2.
This is the part where you would think it would feel more out of the ordinary. But no, again, Anne reacts like it's a trip to the store. We check in. They increase the dose of her precocktail in an attempt to have less infusion reaction to the taxol. It seems to work. I get her a couple of warm blankets, help her grade some papers, she takes a nap, "It's time to go home!" No problems. No bad reactions. Just a little sleepy from the benedryl. So back home we went,some soup and sandwhich for lunch,then waiting for the kids to come and start Trick or Treating! Again, just a mom and great daughter hanging out on Halloween!
In case you haven't figured it out this PA feels a little under used. Anne is doing amazingly well. I know she has her ups and downs but all in all she just keeps keepin' on. She is strong and determined and is...well...she is just Anne. Not Anne with cancer, not Anne, fighting the battle of her life, not bald Anne, or hungry Anne, or anything else. She is Anne! The same Anne I have known, loved and have been so proud of forever. And THAT is great to see!
Glad to hear all is going well and you guys had some fun! Love a great girls weekend!
ReplyDelete