Before I get into what ended up being a really great day, I should say. I'm not actually that big of a fan of my birthday. I find them to often be a lot like New Year's...a lot of build-up and anticipation of what can often be less fun than a random Tuesday. Over the years I've had a few notable less-than-awesome ones, that I should probably be glad I'm not going to find pictures from...the family might remember the high school one where I balled because Dad was watching a game and my presents weren't great...
Lacking the 3D hologram effect of the one from Marc and Sarah
and I had lost my tennis match that day. Colorado friends might remember the "I had to have the stomach flu because I can handle light beer better than that" experience of late, and other not overly awesome ones in between. Last year, I thought I might have reversed the trend with a great time at a Reds game, but alas, I was sort of prepared for another "whomp, whomp" kind of day.
I should have known better and had faith that my awesome friends and family wouldn't let that happen...and they didn't.
We started the day with a trip to Trader Joe's to prepare for the evening where I got a super cute free reusable bag because Emily felt the need to inform our checker it was my birthday. Then despite the clouds, went and visited Young's Dairy, out past Yellow Springs (Yes, the Yellow Springs associated with Dave Chappelle).
While somewhat underwhelming, it was a fun time of animals, delicious cheese curds and ice cream ("this is definitely the best flavor...it might give you diabetes but it's delicious"...credit the 15 year old for trying to sell me on it?).
Animals in the barn chilling.Rain managed to hold off to allow for a lovely hike in John Bryan State Park with these compadres:
Happy times!
Made a stop by a coworker's house on the way home to chat and let kids play then headed home to prepare for having friends over.
A successful grilling experience, a less than successful bonfire experience (I blame the wet wood and lack of an ax to make proper kindling...I do know how to build a fire, I promise), fun times playing Kan Jam and Cards Against Humanity (awesomely inappropriate game if you aren't aware...i.e. perfect for me, thanks Jen!), and birthday cake candle blowing out later, and it was a really great evening.
I feel so lucky to have friends that can be friends with each other, that can laugh at my semi-inappropriate jokes about my current situation of having cancer, and that overwhelmed me with delicious chocolate things to eat.
Andria's adorable contribution to the fun.
It would be unfair if I didn't also acknowledge the numerous texts, phonecalls, voicemails, Facebook messages/shout outs, cards, presents etc from folks throughout the day and that I know are still even forthcoming. So, THANK YOU!
All in all it was just a really good, fun, normal day. A perfect way to start what I'm sure will be a year to remember, but hopefully will also have many more good, fun days.


that's a bright cake! scared what mine will look like with an extra candle...
ReplyDeleteglad you had a nice day!
SM
It didn't even have all 29...better keep a fire extinguisher around for yours...
Deletehappy happy day! sounds wonderful. can't wait to see you soon.
ReplyDeletesarah.
Glad it was a great day, you deserve it. Cards against Humanity is my favorite game. I have all 4 expansion packs and #5 is on its way.
ReplyDelete