Tuesday, September 30, 2014

In the Thick of It

Hello friends, back to me again after another terrific guest post from Karyn.  It was so nice having her here this weekend!  Just spending time with her one-on-one was a treat as it doesn't happen that often!  It was great to chat with her about work, family, life, Bertha, and everything in between.  She also makes a mean grilled cheese, chicken and dumplings, turkey burger, and chocolate chip cookie!  I can't thank her enough.

Here's a pic of Sunday's "activities":
Lots of laying...

Typical Sunday of a bit of soreness, tiredness, and overall malaise. This continued into Monday...fortunately, I didn't have any work obligations until giving an exam at 4:30 pm so spend the morning in bed, alternating between working and napping.  Not a bad plan really.  I was still pretty worked when I proctored the exam (students seemed more miserable than me...not sure if that's a good thing or not).  

I was taken aback when leaving campus, I was nearly blindsided by a car that blew through a red light ~25-30 mph and nearly took out my driver's side.  I guess I can be grateful for the fact my brain was working a little slow and I hesitated on my green light.

Unfortunately Monday ended up on another sad note when my mom called and shared really sad and tragic news from the St. Louis family...a freak deer-in-the-road car accident resulting in a life taken way too early, of a vibrant 17 year old cousin (2nd, 3rd, twice removed, who knows).  My heart goes out to them, and unfortunately it was a stark reminder that life really can be short, and that as hard as all this is, it still is life and that is not to be taken for granted.

My mom, fresh off her trip from Ireland and Scotland (which was fantastic!) shared that she sort of feels like she's in a real run of bad luck....
and while I can see what she means, I also told her that when you're blessed with a lot of people you love and that love you, you're bound to have to experience the hurt...
Not sure when I became the optimist of us too, but in my sleepiness at 10 pm it made sense :)

Today (Tuesday) was honestly a bit of a struggle as well, despite going to bed with the aforementioned optimism.  I was tired, I got all sweaty and was having serious thermoregulatory issues mid-day.  Having to teach statistics probably didn't really help...

I was tired.  I know I get to be because of the chemo but still, it made me feel weak.  It took a lot to tell myself it was ok to sit in my chair and not use my standing desk setup.  And it took A LOT out of me to take a few minutes and chill before my last meeting.
Yes that's a yoga mat, and yes, that's my office.

Even just "resting" for 5 minutes really helped.  It also helped that my last meeting of the day was with Honors students who were appreciative of my efforts to help them and generally seemed enthusiastic about learning.  

Heading to the running store after didn't seem so hard after all.  Meanwhile, my BFF Alexis took the cancer diagnosis "public" on facebook.  It's been AMAZING to see all the positive and heartfelt comments from everyone.  I can't thank everyone enough.  

Speaking of support, I'll leave with this lovely card I got today:



6 comments:

  1. Another kudos to Lex for a beautiful post on fb. I wondered what your plans were to "break the news" and should have realized you two had that covered. 😉 Rest up cause we have lots of laying around to do on Friday & Saturday! And cheering on Sunday. So much love! 😘 Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. conserve energy for your big trip! was wondering about FB.... glad that was the way it all went down. that card is amazing... who sent it and where did they get it?
    sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stranger Susie! She continues to be amazing, right? Check www.northlandposter.com That's what's on the back of the card.

      Delete
  3. Yeah so I just read all of these posts. I know that makes me an alpha hotel of a brother for not having read them along the way, and I know that excuses are like assholes (and I know that I just alpha hoteled asshole and then actually wrote asshole) but I do have excuses. One is things have been a little crazy with Alice the past month (whose photos have been apparently been being published in an unauthorized fashion and used to promote breast exams without consideration or renumeration for the use thereof for which you will likely be hearing from my attorney). The other excuse though is I can't read your blog at work becuase my state computer thinks your website "young and strong 2 beat it" is actually "young and strong 2 be a tit" and blocks it as sexually explict content.

    Just kidding, as you can tell by how much I have written I am at work right now. I may even do less than you at my job.
    Which brings me to my point. Please don't feel "weak" for being tired at work and being lazy on sundays when you are going through chemo. That makes me taking naps at work and being lazy from 3:30 Friday afternoon until 1:15ish the next Monday like something way worse than weak. Fucking pathetic perhaps?

    And I know these comments are supposed to make you feel better and whatnot, but it's kind of my job as your older brother to keep your shit in check. So sorry to be blunt and possibly rude, but maybe you can tone down being a TOTAL FUCKING ROCK STAR during this entire thing and quit making the rest of us look bad?

    In all seriousness though, keep up the badassedness and I'll try to keep up with your blog better (and work on my language too mom).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) I have your written expressed consent (via text) for posting pictures of Alice in the blog
      2) Maybe we should start doing nothing together at work via GChat or something.
      3)Thanks brother. You're pretty awesome yourself.

      Delete
  4. And this is just another reason why I so love my family!!!!

    ReplyDelete