Anne's off to bed and I leave in the morning, so it's my turn to "guest blog." Yikes.
If there's one thing worth saying, it's, "Nice work, everybody." There is no doubt being here that Anne is well loved. We made a greeting card garland out of her cards, since the mantle on the fireplace could no longer handle them all. There are care packages and gift baskets, hats and free running shoes, scarves in every color and print, gift cards, not just a wig but a wig stand along with wig styling and care supplies. Beautiful hand crocheted blankets and handmade cards. Friends dropping off muffins. Colleagues stopping by the office before calling it quits for the weekend to check on her. Students giving her shout outs as we walked down the street.
I am completely impressed with this gorgeous, strong, positive woman at my side. Perhaps I should have expected it. But it's actually easy to forget that Anne is sick. Her scarves (which are fantastic and perfectly coordinated with her outfits I might add) have just migrated from her neck to her head. Sure we had a lazy Sunday, but we all like to have those when we can. She just goes about her days taking care of business doing one thing and then the next. Medical appointments, errands, work, meals out, mowing the lawn... All delusions I may have had about taking care of sickie went out the window by the time I'd been here one day.
Every once in a while I remember. Oh yeah, there are rubber gloves on the table because Anne is "toxic" for 48 hrs after her chemo treatment. She rather go for a brisk walk then a run or play tennis. Bedtime does come a little earlier. And the people at the clinic greeted her by name when she walks in on Saturday morning. So the signs are there. But you can't see it in her face. And her smile is genuine.
I feel so lucky to have spent this relaxing weekend together, swapping stories about life in Dayton and life in California. Here's to hoping that a bit of breakfast in bed, a few home-cooked meals, an oil change, and some good company lightened your load a bit. Love you so much!
Maybe a haiku for the road? Hard to resist a poem I love for someone I love... xoxo
Amazing Anne
Grace and beauty shine,
From inner strength and resolve.
Already healing.
Love the haiku! So proud of this family! If strength, love and support could heal no one we know would ever be ill. So glad you were there together! Thanks big sis!
ReplyDeletePS I agree she looks beautiful! Stunning and strong!
Great post Karyn and great having you here. You are spot on that the support is strong and that's what helps me be strong too. Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteThis is an awesome post Karyn. So glad you and Sarah both got to have sister weekends!
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear this, thanks Karen. Looking forward to seeing that smile soon! Sonja
ReplyDeleteperfect post karyn. i have 2 amazing sisters.
ReplyDelete