Monday, September 1, 2014

The New "Normal"

Started the day early today saying goodbye to this lady:

Sorry other moms, she's the best.
 
Dropped her off at the airport so that she could be crazy, like only she can be, by flying "through" Boise (by way of Detroit and Salt Lake) to get to meet this one:
 
Alice in dreaming wonderland
 
It'll be a little strange not having Mom here, but it needed to happen.  As fantastic as it has been to have her here through this, I need to find a new groove of the reality of this new life I find myself in.  I managed to get a brief workout in this morning (Thanks Jillian).  Here are the lessons learned:
  • I'm out of shape...I didn't do much the past month through all of this diagnosis/tests/doctors.
  • I had only really been running before that...and I can tell.  Those 5 lb dumbbells felt A LOT heavier than I remember.
  • My endurance and recovery is low...working out took a lot out of me, and this I think is in part due to the chemo.
  • Now that I'm not training for the marathon anymore, I think I'll enjoy being able to vary my exercise routines with videos, circuits, etc. 
Other than that, I've spent a lot of time lounging, which isn't all that different than what I would have done in times B.C. (before cancer).  I think being alone will give me more time to think, which could be good, could be bad. The reality of everything that is happening is slowly sinking in more and more.  I think getting back to my "routine" will seem more like reality than this weird state I've been in for the past 4 weeks.  Starting classes again should help with that as well...thankfully, the kids keep showing up, no matter how good or bad I feel.
 
Physically, feeling pretty good still...some sour stomach at times, headaches (might be the lack of caffeine in my life lately), and some soreness/heaviness overall.  But getting along, eating pizza with friends last night (and leftover for breakfast this morning...so good). 
 
Regular full day of work tomorrow at UD and at Runners Plus.  Feeling like Owen Wilson in Armageddon, 98% excited and 2% nervous, or maybe it's the other way around.  Need to figure out if I'll be able to keep doing a few shifts at the running store...I do enjoy it and the extra cash is nice, so we'll see if it can stay in the new normal.
 
 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. I know this is all about you and it should be but I must say that leaving today was very tough. I knew I was returning to my "normal life" and leaving you to deal with your "new normal". It feels a little like I am getting out while the getting is good. I will miss bringing you your coffee and being there for all the ups and downs. I KNOW you can handle it but you really shouldn't have to. Your wonderful sesters have you covered for the next couple of treatments, so we all seem to have a plan! Please God no laughing at this one. Stay tough and keep up that wonderful sense of humor. And yes, seeing Alice was a pure delight! As Marc says, there's nothing tougher then a Crecelius female! Go get 'em gals! Miss you, Love you and your strength, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, Mrs. Crecelius. You're the best.

    I agree with your mom and Marc, Anne. There's nothing tougher than a Crecelius female. And if you can tackle a Jillian workout only a few days after chemo, you're certainly showing your strength. She kicks my butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are your first days back at it going? Thinking about you! Also, while my sister has been in town she really introduced me to running... And now I think the idea of a marathon is even MORE NUTS! I am so happy that you can go back to Jillian and yoga! Love you, Sonja

    ReplyDelete