Had a CT Scan Friday morning for a couple reasons:
1- Because the cancer is likely in the lymph nodes (the start of the lymph system, which essentially drain fluid and wastes), the chances of cancer cells being spread throughout the body (become metastatic) is possible. A CT Scan will determine whether there are any concerning areas in the chest, abdomen or pelvis.
2- The breast MRI I got last week showed a suspicious spot on the sternum that given everything else, deserved additional examination.
After arriving at the hospital (which now I knew my way to radiology in...) and registering, the first step was to insert an i.v. for a blood draw. Funny moment of this step...like at many hospitals, all employees wear badges displaying the unit with which they are affiliated. The gentleman putting my i.v. had his badge turned a bit and I thought it said:
RADIOLOGY
AMIGO
to which I thought "huh, well, I guess he's my friend and maybe he speaks Spanish???". So because I've decided to make all of the medical appointments as enjoyable as possible and engage in conversation with the various medical persons involved, I asked him about it. Turns out, it said:
RADIOLOGY
ANGIO
Yeah, that would make more sense.
Next step in the process was to drink the oral contrast agent over the period of about an hour or so....
Sure...I'll take the lemonade flavor...
Kinda awkward to sit in a waiting room with 4 other people doing the same thing (hmmm...wonder what's wrong with them!).
After that, it was actually a very quick process. Got to leave my clothes on and everything, a few "hold your breaths" and a very interesting experience with the iv contrast agent that as more than one of the staff had told me "will make you feel like you're going to pee your pants but I PROMISE you that you won't" (Spoiler Alert: I didn't).
This CT Scanner could be yours for a low cost of 200K!
Results should come Monday, either from my surgeon or perhaps just at my appointment with my oncologist in the afternoon. Also seen at the hospital that made me chuckle. A vanity plate in the parking lot that said:
INTUB8
After the scan I enjoyed my non-teaching morning doing work at Panera, where I decided that I need to start a blog a la Texts From Last Night called "Conversations at the Coffee Shop", because, man, there were some doozies. Also, I really hope the girl who was applying for the job at the March of Dimes gets it because based on her phone interview (of which I witnessed the entirety of), she really is a good candidate.
Lunch with a good friend followed, then our fall all-school faculty meeting. Imagine like the Apple corporate meetings about new iPhones and such but people in suits, far less impressive presentations (properly branded PowerPoints...which by the way, I never appreciated "branding" until I met the aforementioned good friend who has educated me extensively in this area), and boring podiums. So I guess nothing like it really, except an update and address for the faculty. It went well, though I think many people I haven't seen in a bit were doing double-takes with the new short hairdo.
Friday night then consisted of spending time with my dear friend Emily, my former partner-in-crime at UD spearheading the creation of this (when at least I thought it'd be a massive failure) and her adorable little guy. Also, I accidentally sent a pizza order to my old apartment. Damn you online ordering! Again, let's hope I was just distracted by the wonderful conversation and company and it wasn't a chemobrain effect. Eventually got it right and it was delicious.
Physically felt great all day and should probably watch my whole eat whatever I want while I still have an appetite and lack of metal-mouth otherwise soon none of my clothes will fit! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment