Monday, September 8, 2014

Remarkable and Unremarkable

REMARKABLE:
Forgot to mention this yesterday...at about 5pm, I cleaned my glasses that I had been wearing all day and realized that they were not mine...

Twins!

Not only is my dear friend Emily that I spent the weekend with a great person, but apparently, we have essentially the same prescription.  I really couldn't tell a difference all day.  I'd say that's pretty remarkable.

REMARKABLE:
I got a package at my door today, which in itself is not remarkable given all you people being overly generous and showering me with love, support, packages, etc.  I didn't recognize the name or address in Minnesota, but thought perhaps it was an Etsy shop or something.  To my surprise, I found a card addressed to me with caring words from Susie, someone who volunteers with my good friend's parents (and my second set of parents) at Children's Hospital. Beneath Susie's kind words:

Stunning.

A beautiful hand crocheted afghan (in colors that are so "me"!) and a great fuzzy hat, that I'll affectionately call my Cookie Monster hat as it perfectly matches the jacket of the same nickname that I already have.  Susie is a survivor so knows first hand what an extra bit of warmth can do to get you through chemo.

Susie the Stranger, you are remarkable.

UNREMARKABLE:
Went to my oncologist this afternoon for the standard 2-week follow-up that I'll do throughout chemo.  Overall, a pretty unremarkable appointment.  "Are you sure you guys are giving me the good stuff? I feel fine!".  He seemed to think Big Bertha has softened a bit and her gang of nodes were smaller as well, all good stuff.  More importantly, the results from the CT scan to detect possible metastases last week were pushed to my patient account:

UNREMARKABLE!

I guess cancer does change things, as I never thought I'd be so happy to be unremarkable.


3 comments:

  1. You can never be unremarkable!!!! But this is good news for sure!! Bertha's days are numbered!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear your voice yesterday afternoon; I found it remarkable when we were able to connect twice! :) And happy for a unremarkable conversation about normal life (aka sorry to bore you with the Griffin daycare saga!) YAY for unremarkable Bertha. Glad she couldn't sink her cancer talons in any deeper. Love, Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always new someday I'd realize you actually were unremarkable.... :)

    ReplyDelete